Monday, September 26, 2011

look mommy, i made a boat

Naiya has had a fascination with water lately.  She called me upstairs just now so excited to show me this.  "Mommy, mommy....come look!  I made a boat!"  It's an index card, a piece of paper, a colored pencil and a flower petal.  "I even colored the bottom to help it float!" she explained.  (The wax crayon coating does, in fact, make the paper less water permeable and so increases buoyancy time.)


My dad, who for some reason isn't able to leave comments here said, "It's in the blood."  His father, Naiya's great grandfather, is a boat designer by profession.  Come to think of it, I don't know why I've never mentioned this before.  My grandfather is the very interesting and talented Glen L of Glen L Marine Designs.  He's been designing and building boats since 1953.  If you've ever wanted to build your own boat or even just check out boats (you know, real boats, not paper toys) made by amateur boat builders (including that guy on NCIS), I'd totally recommend stopping by their site.  You can even see my lovely Aunt Gayle right there on the home page...  http://www.glen-l.com/  or http://www.boatdesigns.com/

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...