Wednesday, November 9, 2011

the three billy goats gruff

 One of Naiya's favorite telling stories is the Three Billy Goats Gruff.  Last weekend when we were walking with some friends in the woods we came to a bridge which inspired an impromptu reenactment of that cherished tale.  Daddy, of course, had to be the troll (although his eyes are NOT as big as saucers, nor his nose as long as a poker). 
We had some hungry goats who needed to travel across to the hillside to make themselves fat.  Trip, trap, trip trap went the bridge...
"Who's that tripping over my bridge?"
"Oh, it is only I, the tiniest Billy Goat Gruff, and I'm going up to the hillside to make myself fat," said the little pink and polka dot goat.
"Then I am going to gobble you up," proclaimed daddy troll.
"Oh no, don't take me.  I'm much too little," said the first billy goat. "Wait a bit till the second Billy Goat Gruff comes. She's much bigger."  (Of course, "billy" goats are boys but we work with what we're given.)
"Well, okay then, be off with you..." allowed the big ol' troll.
Trip, trap, trip, trap went the bridge again.
"Who's this now tripping over my bridge?" 
"Oh, it's just me the second Billy Goat Gruff.  I'm going up to the hillside to make myself fat." 
"I think I will gobble you up," the troll said.
"Oh no, don't take me.  I'm much too little," said the second billy goat. "Wait until the Big Billy Goat Gruff comes.  She's much, much bigger."
"Well, be off with you then..."

When the third Billy Goat came trip, trap, tripping over the bridge it creaked and moaned under her.   (Well, my friend Lisa is pretty small so there wasn't really any creaking, but she can stamp rather loudly).
"Who's that tramping over my bridge?" roared the troll.
"It is I, the biggest Billy Goat Gruff!" she cried.
"Then I am going to gobble you up!"
"Well, come along!  I've got two spears.  I'll make you live your greatest fears.  I'll throw you into the water cold.  No longer will you be so bold,"  said the last Billy Goat (or something like it) as she pretended to toss big Daddy Troll into the rushing river.
Of course, there were more bridges.  At the next one the troll was petite and had two cute little heads.  Very fierce.

1 comment:

  1. How fun! My daughter has been hooked on this story as well.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...